Saturday, March 8, 2008

Transitioning

(Gerunds are such clunky but vital things, aren't they?)

Yesterday I hosted what, for lack of any better term, I call the Ladies With Babies: four of my friends who have all had new babies within the last four months. Excepting one woman, whose cute little son was her first, everyone has other children, as well.

But I was the only one without a brand new baby, hence my transitioning from Young Married to Young Matron; maybe even just Matron. Ugh. Labeled just like the poor woman in an Edith Wharton story. My husband pointed out that we have four children; it isn't as though we haven't any. Yes, but I don't have a baby baby, you see. And that's okay for now. I enjoyed giving my friends lunch and having their lovely company and lovely little bundles. Still... who would have ever thought fecundity could be such a threat or source of sorrow?

No comments: